I was still so happy sharing in my last blog about Shannon's dancing class, but 3 days later I received a phone call from the music school.. and this was how it went...
Madam A (not the teacher, the admin) : Hi, are you Shannon's mother?
Me : Yes, I am. Anything?
Madam A : I am calling from the music school, and would like to inform you that, our teacher says that Shannon is still too young to attend this class, and therefore, on the next class you don't have to come anymore.
Me : But why??? We know that she is slightly younger but as agreed before this, parent need to be around so that she will not disturb the others in the class. And she did not disturb the other children so far..
Madam A : But the teacher did mention to you before to TRY for 1 mth... and now has reached one month and she still think that your girl is not suitable..as she is still young
Me : But we only want her to mix around with other children in the class. .we are not expecting any results. As we can see how much she enjoys herself. So is it because she is slightly younger and this is the main reason for not letting her continue in this music class?
Madam A : Erm.. some parents also have concern as they have been asking why there is such a young student in the class. (I really wonder..as the other children in the music class like Shannon as well..)
Me : ..... ok.... (don't feel like mentioning further)
(I Hope they are not discriminating by using the reason "too young"). Shannon was doing better and better during classes each time...much much better than some of the older kids who throw tantrums and refuse to cooperate during classes. On the last music session, she even got a BIG sticker from the teacher for behaving well... and now she was rejected..I was super upset... the effort put in to train her in order to catch up with the dance steps, the joy each time attending the classes.. and now...
This might be the beginning. .we believe that there will be more challenges ahead for inclusion in future.. the conversation above might or might not be discrimination, but God is serving us a reminder on bigger challenges ahead, thus, this is only a little hurdle to go through to prepare for bigger hurdles in future.
Don't worry, Shannon, your mama will be your dancing instructor, this challenge in life is not going to put us down :), instead will make us stronger.
No comments:
Post a Comment